Thursday 7 January 2010

Snow Joke

And neither was that. Apologies.

Yet again, schools and local education authorities have come under criticism for closing because of the snow. I've given up defending each condemnation individually and decided to write the reasons I think many schools have closed and why I support it.
Yes, I do work in education and yes, I am pleased that I've had two days off but that's more down to the foot injury! I have lost out on a week of pay for this.

We live in the age of health & safety. Unfortunate though it is, this will be the first thought of the headmaster and LEA. During heavy snow in early 2009, a school I teach in decided to open to staff only. The school in question has a very steep driveway which is tricky to ascend without battling through ice and snow and driving up there would have just been silly so most teachers parked at the bottom. And yes, one of the staff fell and broke her hip very badly. The school were in lots of trouble. They would be in a much worse situation if it were a pupil who fell. It's not even getting to school that is the issue in all cases, many large comprehensives involve teachers walking around big sites to different classrooms and even driving if the school has two sites. It may come as a surprise to some but school grounds ARE NOT GRITTED. They are icy deathroads! I'm sure headteachers would rather face criticism for closing than injured teachers/pupils/lawsuits.

And a note to those lambasting schools in central Cardiff where the snow has cleared. Most staff and teachers don't live in Cardiff. The teachers I know are having a hard time navigating their way through ungritted country lanes and have turned around to go home. Even on my road in north Cardiff, there was still a good 3/4 inches of snow on the ground. Some people decided to start their car only to realise this was silly and go back inside. If say 30% of staff live in rural surrounding areas and can't travel (I'd wager it is more like 60%), a school can't operate. Simple. In my experience of teaching in more deprived areas, if the snow hits, the parents (who don't work) will let the kids have the day off anyway and schools that do open will have a poor attendance where no real work is even attempted.

Now, let's talk about traffic. I know you want to. I haven't got the figures but a big portion of morning rush hour traffic is to and from schools. Granted, some of it is unnecessary when children can walk or share lifts with friends but that's a different problem altogether. By shutting schools, the roads become clearer. Not only does this give local authorities a better chance of clearing snow and getting more grit down, it makes life easier for the emergency services and others. I'm not saying that education isn't important, far from it, but I am saying that we can sacrifice a day of lessons if it means everything else running smoothly. Inevitably, the bad weather will mean more accidents needing assistance so why not lesson school traffic so that emergency traffic will have a better chance of getting where they need. Let's not forget other professions too. It makes economic sense for shop staff to be able to get to work, the same goes for transport workers.

Right, that's enough for now. I think my opinion is now clear!




4 comments:

  1. Hm. I should like to rail against your argument. Because that will make your blog extra interesting. Not because I don't think you shouldn't be safe in the indoors right now.

    You know why I hate snow so much? Because my boss assumes that I and a couple of others who have chosen to live locally will keep the place running. Whilst those who have opted for a better life in rambling country cottages get to stay at home. I've achieved nothing this week because I've been covering for umpteen colleagues. I've had a difficult-to-arrange meeting cancelled because of someone's inability to organise care for their school-aged children. I've had colleagues who lived close by bugger off early to see their parents who "can't get out to buy groceries" (What? Is Tesco CLOSED in the evenings now?) and people turn up late because "it took longer to walk in" (What? Did they not bloody know it been snowing? Could they not, oh I don't know, get up earlier? Like I did.). And to top it all, I've had my brother, who teaches, texting me to tell me he's cwtched up in bed. What do I get for this? Nothing other than the assumption that I will always be available. Oh, and available on my day off on Saturday too, because we have no-one else living close enough to cover and "it could snow again". I will get no money or time off in lieu for this. If I had stayed at home because of the snow, I would've been reprimanded. I understand that local authorities wish to avoid lawsuits from staff, but the areas around my workplace were also icy... I hung on to foliage and wore walking boots.

    On the plus side, it's been dead easy getting into work, because there's been sod all teacher traffic.

    Will my name appear? It's SarahN, btw. Don't shout at me. I am just angry at some particular lazy good-for-nothing wimps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inevitably, the bad weather will mean more accidents needing assistance so why not lesson school traffic so that emergency traffic will have a better chance of getting where they need.


    lessEn

    Your loving brother.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, totally. My mother was a teacher. So I know the score. However....

    Spare a thought for those of us with small businesses, who don't get paid if they don't work. My husband has been to work all week and has driven from Cardiff up to the Gwent Valleys. I work from home at the moment fortunately, so am unaffected. But I did take a stroll to and from town today, with the pram. Some pavements were icy but I walked with care. It was no big deal.

    So when I hear about how people in Grangetown or Canton couldn't get to the BBC, I do wonder...

    Incidentally, my mother doesn't know what all the fuss is about. She's reminded me several times about how she walked from Rhiwbina to Ely to school in 1982. What a trooper :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Siriol.

    I am also unpaid if I don't work as I'm self employed. I've missed out on a week of work for the snow. I would be there if I had the choice.
    And the school I mentioned was in Brynmawr. The kids don't have a problem getting there but everyone else does!

    Seriously though, Grangetown and Canton people can't get the BBC? That's pretty appalling! Totally ridiculous.

    My road in Ton is still pretty treacherous. The bottom half is an ice rink, I drove on it earlier and nearly went head first into some garages!

    ReplyDelete